October 14, 2010

Mom of the Year

This past Sunday we went to my Mother's house to celebrate her birthday. While we were there, Jacob was all over the place with his cousins, playing and laughing. While I was sitting at the kitchen table with my sister, Jacob started to go downstairs with his cousin. Normally, I helicopter all over him when he does anything on stairs, but he just started to go down the (carpeted) stairs, and he was going slow, taking his time, so I just called out, "Hold onto the rail".

Of course, he bit it, falling down the last two steps. He cried out, and my father, who was at the top of the steps, came and got him. He was limping a little, but he calmed down immediately. People were babying him, of course. I gave him hugs and kisses and he sat on my lap for a while, but if he felt fine, I didn't want to make a big deal about it.

That night he woke up saying his foot hurt. It still looked okay, so I gave him ibuprofen and told him if it hurt in the morning we would take him to the Dr. He told me his foot felt fine in the morning. I drove him to childcare, and later he went to swim class with Mr. B.

Tuesday he woke up with a barking cough which I recognized as croup. I made an appointment with the Dr., and Mr. B and I took him in the afternoon. Luckily, he just had a common cold. While we were there, we thought she should check out his foot, because he was still limping. I think you all know where I am going with this....

Three fractures in his foot, three! All from falling down two steps, the one time I didn't escort him down the stairs. How terrible do I feel? Please, can someone hold onto that "Mom of the Year" trophy for me? He was in the Doctor's office for 5 hours getting x-rayed and casted and he never cried. His Momma on the other hand....

I was back at the Doctor's the next day for a skin infection with Drew. Again, Mom Of The Year award might have to wait.

Then, Louie dog jumped the fence. The neighbors grabbed him, so when I called him, he came running, but we almost lost him. He was all dirty, like he had been left out to run wild for weeks. Not sure what kind of adventures he had, but he acted pretty traumatized. He was not the only one.

Needless to say, I don't have much confidence in myself as a caretaker at this time. I always did have trouble keeping plants alive. At least Sharky v.2.0 is still alive and healthy.

For now.


Related Posts with Thumbnails