March 31, 2011

Review: Dream Big, Little Pig!

I recently got a chance to review Dream Big, Little Pig!, By Kristi Yamaguchi. When it came in the mail, both boys were excited to get a chance to open the envelope and look at the book. While the cover was decorated to mostly catch a girls attention, my boys were excited to read it, and thought the cover was fun. (My youngest has a cabbage patch baby named "Movie" so we do not worry about "gender-appropriateness in this house.) The cover was sparkly and pretty and grabbed their attention and they liked it, even with all the pink and the purple.
While the cover of the book might be considered"girly", the message and story most certainly weren't. In the book we meet Poppy, the pig with big dreams who learns to never give up, to keep trying, and soon enough, she finds her calling on the ice skating rink. At the end of the book she even dreams of being a pilot.

The writing had a lyrical quality to it, which made it much easier and more enjoyable for me to read and for my children to pay attention to the book. The drawings featured animals from all over the world and they were beautifully drawn. Overall I really enjoyed this book, and my youngest son did too. My oldest son had less interest in the book, mostly because his life revolves around science, and not as much about fictional stories (anything not real is not cool, unless it is Phineas and Ferb). The book is listed on Amazon as being for 4-8 year olds, but I would think that it's better suited for 3-6 year olds. Still, it's a wonderful, high quality book that I will read to my boys again.

*Disclosure: I received an advance copy of this book for review. I received no compensation for this review other than the book itself. The thoughts and opinions on the book are my own.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails