March 15, 2011

The Tooth Fairy is a Jerk

One of the things that has been happening in rapid fire fashion in the Bee house is that my son is slowly becoming a toothless wonder.

Last week he lost his first front tooth. He pulled it out himself it was so incredibly loose. Honestly, this boy was so excited about the tooth fairy visiting, he could barely contain himself. I posted his picture on facebook with a witty caption, put the tooth in the designated tooth pillow, and put him to bed.

The next day when he woke up, he came into my room, his voice trembling. "The tooth fairy forgot to come!"

My first thoughts that morning: Well, shit.

Wiping the sleep from my eyes, I told the sad boy "well, maybe she is running behind. I'm sure she would never forget".

All morning he was the saddest little boy you have ever seen. I have never felt so terrible. The Tooth Fairy is a jerk, and the Tooth fairy is me.

When I called Mr. B at work, hiding in our bedroom, I was beside myself. We agreed to have the Tooth Fairy visit while Drew was at school. Mr. B hurried home to place the dollar (yes the Tooth Fairy leaves a dollar, no she is not familiar with inflation) in the pillow pocket, and then picked Drew up from the bus stop.

Drew greeted Mr. B, saying "I have bad news Daddy, the Tooth Fairy didn't come last night."

Mr. B quickly responded, "Well, let's check- she might have been running late." Drew found the dollar, crisis averted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cut to last night:




Drew lost his other front tooth.
Mr. B had to work early.
I would have to be the Tooth Fairy.

I was nervous. I had to wait until I knew he was asleep. I kept reminding myself. I got ready for bed, laid down and began to surf the web on my Ipod, and...

Omigod. How did I almost fall asleep without doing this again? My mind is like Swiss cheese, I tell you.

I snuck into his room and placed the dollar. Then I breathed a sigh of relief.

The Tooth Fairy is now less Jerk, more Awesome in our house. Crisis averted.... until the next lost tooth.

To be continued....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails