September 29, 2011

Lunch Wars: A Review

Synopsis from Barnes and Noble:
There's a battle going on in school lunchrooms around the country...and it's a battle our children can't afford for us to lose.

The average kid will eat 4,000 school lunches between kindergarten and twelfth grade. But what exactly are kids eating in school lunchrooms around the country? Many parents don't quite know what their children are eating-or where it came from. As award-winning filmmaker and nutritionist Amy Kalafa discovered in researching her documentary film Two Angry Moms: Fighting for the Health of America's Children, these days it's pretty rare to find a piece of fresh fruit in your average school lunchroom amid all the chips, french fries, Pop-Tarts, chicken nuggets, and soda that's being served. But what, if anything, can parents do about it?

My Review:

I enjoyed reading Lunch Wars, and was appalled at the same time. I cannot believe how terrible school lunches have become, and how much red tape surrounds the process of cooking and serving school lunches. I also found many useful ideas to get healthy foods implemented in our local school cafeterias and many of them involved blogging. In fact, in some ways I found this book to be a recruitment for bloggers to post on their blogs and start a food revolution.

I was inclined enough by the scary information in this book to conduct my own experiment with my 3 year old son, limiting his sugar intake to less than I normally allow. The result was pretty significant, he was much calmer and focused. I have vowed to put an end to some of our bad habits, and for that alone, I think the book was a good read. Now will I completely revolutionize our eating habits, or take over my children's cafeteria? That remains to be seen, but I know I will make sure to be more aware of what he is eating for lunch.

Please go visit Blogher to join the discussion about school lunches.

This was a paid review for BlogHer Book Club but the opinions expressed are entirely my own.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails