August 19, 2011

Craptastic Movies and the kids who love them

Recently I saw Zookeeper with my children. Yes, you heard me right. That was the most painfully unfunny and ridiculous movie with the thinnest plot ever. The boys giggled through the whole thing, and they are still talking about it. I wanted to see Winnie the Pooh. Obviously I relented because it's a little young for my oldest, but I can't help wondering why my children only ever want to see and enjoy really terrible movies.
'Let's All Sing With the Chipmunks' photo (c) 2006, Tom - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
I mean, they have great movies out for kids. Most of Pixar's (obviously not including Cars 2) and Disney's offerings  are entertaining and enjoyable for all ages. Kung Fu Panda, How to Train your Dragon and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs? Awesome. I could watch those through a couple repeated viewings. Why can't they want to watch thosemovies? My boys will have nothing to do with them. Jacob loves him a Veggie tales Movie, and Drew's #1 movie all time? Yogi Bear, followed closely by Alvin and the Chipmunks, The Squeakquel. Not even the original. These computer anim-obiminations make you long for the days of the cartoons.

Honestly, it's tough for a Mom to take. I want to enjoy a show with them, but their choices are godawful. How do I instill some sense of taste in them? Also, why are there so many movies that talk down to kids? I just watched the end of The Dark Crystal. That is some scary kids movie shit. Nightmarishly so- no really I had tons of nightmares about this movie growing up. Now, I'm not saying we should have that dark of a movie for kids, but come on, lets not treat children like they have no mind at all.'Puppetry Arts Center, Atlanta 7' photo (c) 2006, Heather Kennedy - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

-----Seriously- this puppet is where nightmares come from.

I know, I know, it's my fault for letting them watch these terrible movies in the first place.... but a Mom's got to have some alone time, and Pixar's thoughtful movies just aren't keeping them entertained.

So- any suggestions for ridiculously silly movies that a parent can enjoy, are there some gems I am overlooking?

Also- what's the worst movie you saw for the sake of your kids?

And finally- how am I going to get the kids to see The Muppets with them in the fall? I might have to bribe them with candy... oh wait, of course I am going to have to bribe them with candy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails